Thursday 16 March 2017

Day 9 of 10 a day

On the home stretch and today I feel fantastic.  It's like I've gone through the lull and come out of the other side.  I woke up at half past 5 with a smile on my face.




Breakfast

I started the day with Bircher Muesli which counts as 2 portions.  I love the cinnamon in it, it just perks you up.

Snack

I ate some carrot sticks while travelling between work locations.  Healthier than my normal snacking that's for sure.

Lunch

Lunch was 50g (uncooked weight) of boiled rice, quickly cooled served with 80g each of cooked, cooled edamame beans and 80g sugar snap peas.  I had this with a honey and soy dressing; 1 tbsp grated ginger, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce and 1/2 tsp sesame oil.  It was a gastronomic highlight!  Delicious.

This was followed by 80g each of raspberries and blueberries with a good dollup of thick cream.

Snack

I nibbled on 80g grapes and also had a cheeky cake with lemon icing.  Oops!  That doesn't count.  Shame.

Dinner

Dinner was a courgette, tomato and goats cheese tart.  If I'm honest, this tart was far too big to be one portion and with all the pastry, not the healthiest but it tasted great so I ate it all!


Courgette Tomato and Goats Cheese Tart - Serves 1-2

Ingredients

80g Courgette (zucchini) cut into thin rings
80g Tomatoes, cut into slices
60g Rind on goats cheese, cut into slices
120g Ready rolled puff pastry
A pinch of herbs de provence and seasoning
Milk

Method

Preheat the oven to 220oC, 450F, Gas Mark 7.

Lightly score about 1cm / half an inch from the edge of the pastry.  This will help it rise.  Put on the vegetables and cheese leaving the edges clear.  You could be more freeform than I was but I did an alternating overlapping pattern of courgette, tomato, courgette, tomato, goats cheese, courgette, tomato, courgette, tomato, goats cheese etc.

Sprinkle with a pinch of the herbs and some salt.  Brush the edges with milk then bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or well browned, risen and cooked on the base.

Leave to cool for a few minutes till warm rather than piping hot then serve.


So how did I do?
Breakfast - 2 portions
Snack - 1 portion
Lunch - 4 portions
Snack - 1 portion
Dinner - 2 portions

Total 10 portions (5 fruits, 5 vegetables as long as you count tomatoes as vegetables)

I hope you will join me in my journey, I will keep you posted by the day on how it's going and put links below so you can read more about my experience:

Day 1 of 10 a day
Day 2 of 10 a day
Day 3 of 10 a day
Day 4 of 10 a day
Day 5 of 10 a day
Day 6 of 10 a day
Day 7 of 10 a day
Day 8 of 10 a day
Day 9 of 10 a day
Day 10 of 10 a day
10 a day, what did I learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.