Monday 11 May 2015

Gazpacho

Gazpacho is something I've played around with recipe wise for a few years, trying to get the best combination.  This is the best version I've done so far.  It's the first time I've included bread and now I'm never going to exclude it again.  The combination of fresh tomatoes and the (slightly cheating) passata helps the colour and flavour with the early season tomatoes but do buy a decent variety for the fresh or it will be lacking the vibrance and depth of flavour.

Gazpacho


Gazpacho - Serves 1

Ingredients

100g, 3.5oz Passata
100g, 3.5oz Fresh tomatoes
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 red pepper
20g, 2/3oz Bread, I used wholemeal, use gluten free if liked
80g, 3oz Cucumber
1 tsp Sherry vinegar
Pinch salt
Pinch chilli flakes
Extra virgin olive oil to serve

Method

Soak the bread in cold water.  Put the passata, tomatoes, coarsely chopped garlic, pepper and cucumber into a blender.  Squeeze out the bread gently and add to the blender with the vinegar, salt and chilli.

Blend for a minute or so or until there are no coarse lumps and it forms a reasonably smooth soup.

Either serve cold immediately or pack up into your kilner jar.  Season with extra salt and or pepper if liked and a drizzle of olive oil.  Be healthy and make your colleagues jealous.  Result!

Gazpacho


Believe it or not, this is at least 3 of your 5 a day in one bowl (or lunchbox friendly small kilner jar) and surprisingly filling.  A great source of vitamin C, red peppers are ridiculously high in vitamin C.  Also a bit of vitamin A, some vitamin K and lycopene.

Ah stuff the nutrition.  It tastes great!

oOo

I am massively proud to say I'm one of only 10 bloggers shortlisted for the Britmum's award in "Food".

Only 5 bloggers out of the 10 will make it to the final and I'd love your vote to help get me there as it's a massive long shot.  Please take a moment of your time to vote here for "Eat Like You Love Yourself" (it's very simple, you just need an email address and they don't spam you.  You can vote from a PC, laptop, tablet, mobile phone... however you like.)

This post is shared at Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party Hop

Live It Up at the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party Blog Hop #66
Linked to recipe of the week.


Link up your recipe of the week

10 comments:

  1. One of my favourites that I've not made in ages, you have inspired me! Popping over from Recipe of the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoy it. I got so many jealous looks at work.

      Delete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    Gazpacho is a very appealing dish!I could eat this every day! I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing this healthy and delicious Gazpacho with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! I’m pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something great about eating raw food isn't there? It just makes you feel zingy!

      Delete
  3. Love Gazpacho, not tried it with bread yet #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Jerez recently and if anything they use much more bread in their recipe than I have. Try it, it changes the texture in a lovely way.

      Delete
  4. Great recipe to bring a bit of sunshine in to your diet. I've scheduled to share it on my facebook page #RecipeOfTheWeek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gazpacho is a great way to get your 5 a day! I love the idea of using a Kilner jar to take it to work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I must make some for lunch tomorrow because it brightens up my day, my little bowl of sunshine.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.