Thursday 15 January 2015

Carrot, apple and ginger smoothie

Carrot, apple and ginger smoothie is a great way to get your fruit and vegetable intake up.



This is my morning pre run food.  Despite not having done a long run for weeks, my run today (over six miles) was awesome and I kept going with this little beauty powering me along!


Carrot, Apple and Ginger Smoothie - Serves 1

Ingredients

1 small carrot, approx 70g, 2.5oz
1 apple
150ml apple juice
1 tsp ginger

Method

Grate the carrot and apple (use the skin but not the core).  Blend the grated fruit and vegetables with the ginger and serve.

Apples are a great source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C.

Carrot smoothie


Carrots are a fantastic source of vitamin A and ginger is thought to have several health properties including on the gastrointestinal system and for colds.  A great way to keep seasonal ailments at bay and, even in January, you can find most of the ingredients of this lovely smoothie in your supermarket without masses of food miles.  A great way to wake up with a smoothie.

I've linked up to the Happy Healthy Green and Natural Blog Hop on Urban Naturale.

I've linked this up to recipe of the week.


Link up your recipe of the week

I've also linked this up to the "temple food" challenge on the spice trail

spice trail badge square

21 comments:

  1. I would love to make things like this but don't have a blender. Do you think a stick blender would work? Perhaps I should just give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth giving it a go but the results might not be quite as smooth, although grating it all first will help.

      Delete
  2. A perfect recipe for a healthy January! (The healthy January I'm trying to stick to!) #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got right into smoothies recently, not as a drink but more as a light meal. I was listening to the radio earlier and a Doctor was rubbishing them saying it made the sugars more available for digestion which can lead to massive sugar highs and crashes but I find them really filling and sustaining.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I love juicing apples and carrots. The juice is so sweet without any additives! This recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have a juicer but can't really justify it. The good thing though about this is that it also includes the fibre because it's blended rather than juiced.

      Delete
  4. Sounds delicious and filled with a wealth of health. Twitted & pinned. Visiting from Health Happy Green & Natural blog hop. We would love you to join us on Real Food Fridays blog hop that goes live every Thursday @ 7pm EST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I too love carrot, apple and ginger smoothies so thank you so much for sharing your delectable recipe with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am going to have to get myself a juicer but with doing it this way it keeps all the fibre in too.

      Delete
  6. We had one of these in a local coffee shop the other morning. It tasted amazing! Love the colour too. Thank you for sharing on #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ow and I thought I was original!!! Ginger is so lovely and is supposed to have various health benefits. Not sure if I believe it or not but it tasting lovely is a great thing.

      Delete
  7. This is my all-time favourite smoothie combo - love it! And a perfectly virtuous entry for this month's #TheSpiceTrail challenge. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't I know this was so popular?!! Definitely virtuous!

      Delete
  8. ooh this looks yum. My husband got me a vitamin for my birthday! Have you ever tried using essential oils in your Smoothie? I just started doing that--using Young Living essential oils. Found you over on the blog hop. http://www.ayoungwifestale.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea. I might get some rescue remedy though rather than pure essential oils.

      Delete
  9. Vitamix not vitamin.... geez. autocorrect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried one, I just use my bog standard blender which works. Are they any good?

      Delete
  10. This sounds fantastic, I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for linking up with Weekend Bites - you've been featured!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent healthy juice.Love it

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.