Sunday 12 July 2015

Tomato Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

This would be a great side dish for a barbecue or pot luck.  It is made though by having a selection of different tomatoes with their different flavours, textures and colours.  You could add in some sliced rings of shallot or onion if liked.

I've made the vinaigrette traditionally so it emulsifies.  The mustard helps and it's actually surprisingly easy.  For years I made it by the supposedly "easier" method of putting all the ingredients in a jar and shaking but it never really works properly.

I love this time of year when tomatoes are at their most fragrant.  Why not make something which really makes a star of them?

Tomato salad



Tomato Salad with a Herb Vinaigrette - Serves 1 or more with several other salads

Ingredients

A selection of different tomatoes, I used some vine tomatoes, baby plum and yellow cherry tomatoes.

For the vinaigrette
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil (approx 2 tbsp but read method)

A few sprigs of the following fresh herbs (about 1 tbsp when chopped):
Thyme
Flat leaf parsley
Lemon thyme
Basil

Seasoning to serve

Method

Slice the tomatoes and put onto a plate.

Chop the herbs.  Put the mustard in a jug and add the vinegar whisking together with a small whisk.  Gradually whisk in the oil bit by bit.  I don't measure the oil, I add it in gradually and taste when it has the right balance of flavours.  You always need much more oil than vinegar but be guided by your palate.

Tomato and herb salad


Once the vinaigrette is ready mix in the chopped herbs and drizzle over the tomatoes.  Top with a few crunchy sea salt crystals if liked.

I've linked this up to the healthy, happy, green and natural party blog hop.

Live It Up at the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party Blog Hop #75

4 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks delicious! I love tomatoes and agree that this would be a great appetizer dish for a summer party! Pinning, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad looks so healthy and delicious. I can't wait to make your yummy recipe and enjoy it with friends and family. Thanks for sharing your Tomato Salad with Herb Vinaigrette with us on the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoy it. I feel like I'm making one version or another of a tomato salad all summer!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.