Friday 17 October 2014

Thai Yellow Salmon Curry

Thai yellow curry, why not?  This is a fantastically quick meal to make once you've made the paste (see below.)


I love eating oily fish like Salmon, it makes me feel right from the inside somehow.


Thai Yellow Curry - Serves 1 (with leftover paste)

Ingredients

For the paste
1 stalk lemongrass
1-2 red chillis (seeds in or out, see below)
1 small onion
1 inch ginger
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp coriander seeds
pinch cumin seeds
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp turmeric
Few grinds black pepper
1 tbsp sugar
Juice 1/2 lime
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 large tomato

For the curry (for one portion)
200ml, 7 fl oz Coconut milk
100g, 3oz Salmon
Large handful of vegetables, e.g. green beans, mange tout (snow peas)

Juice of 1/2 lime
Coriander (cilantro) to serve

Method

In a small food processor or with a stick blender, blend the paste ingredients together.  Use the seeds of the chillis if you like it spicy or even use three chillis.  Split into three portions and freeze two of them.

In a saucepan, put a third of the paste in a saucepan.  When it's bubbled a bit, add the coconut milk and bring to the boil.  Depending on the vegetable, you may need to add at this stage (green beans need longer to cook than mange tout, so add green beans for 2 mins then move on to add the salmon but don't add mange tout till you add the salmon.  You get the idea.)

Take the skin off the salmon and cut into bite sized chunks.  Put into the sauce, turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 minutes without stirring.



Serve with a squidge of lime and coriander on top.  You can either serve this on it's own as a soupy curry or with rice for a full meal (you may find one portion serves two then).  Add some slices of chilli on top if you want a bit more kick.


I've only tried freezing the curry paste for a few days so far and it's worked well.  A month is probably the maximum.  Defrost in a fridge before using.  (Freezing curry pastes is a great use of those tiny baby weaning pots you might still have kicking around the house.  Just don't use them for that if you're still weaning, your baby might get a slight surprise!)
I've linked this up to fuss free living "extra veg" linky.

12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I love salmon and Thai curry, and I bet they're a great combination #WeekendBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved it, I had it for my tea while my son was having mushroom pasta. Normally if I'm eating with him, we'll eat the same but I wanted to photograph it during daylight hours for my blog. He liked the look of it and ended up eating loads of it too! He's 4. I'm adding more chilli next time so I get to eat it all! (Evil cackle!)

      Delete
  2. looks so delicious! i'm definitely making this for dinner tonight.

    visiting via weekend link up.
    happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning looking dish Heidi. I love the contrast of yellow and green. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is lovely but I'm gutted because my son has recently been diagnosed with a peanut, nut and coconut allergy so unfortunately it's off the menu for me. I hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  4. Heidi, lovely dish. This has gone straight onto my shortlist for a feature. Cheers frm Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this recipe! My boyfriend cooked it today and we both loved it. Now it's part of our personal cookbook because we're planning to have it a lot more in the future. Funnily enough, I translated your recipe into Spanish to add it to our cookbook but then I noticed that the rest of recipes we have there are in English. You're welcome to use them :) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you liked the curry but please can you remove the recipe from your blog? I do ask that you request permission first before reprinting my content. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. No worries. I made my own blog private. Nobody but us can access it now. I kept it to keep track of recipes we liked, not to get credit for any recipe. We actually give credit to your blog by linking it to your recipe. Now it's only visible to us so no other people will be referred to your blog either. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I know it might sound sniffy but I've had loads of people take recipes from my blog, some pretending to be me, some copying the whole thing, I just find it easier to say "please ask me first" so it's my decision.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.