Tuesday 21 July 2015

Quinoa, Asparagus and Green Beans

Quinoa, something I've come a little bit late to the party about really.  Whenever I'd seen it on a supermarket shelf, apart from being really expensive I'd wondered what the fuss had all been about but also filed it under "fad ingredient".  I'm not the kind of person who races towards the nearest "superfood".

However, I found a pack, it was much cheaper in price than I'd seen before and I tried it.  You know what?  It actually tastes pretty nice.  That was a surprise!

I paired it very simply with some griddled vegetables and a lemon vinaigrette.  Ok, not the healthiest thing due to the oil content but it tasted great and there are worse things in life to have than lots of lovely olive oil.





Quinoa, Asparagus and Green Beans - Serves 1 generously

Ingredients

50g, 1.5oz Quinoa
50g, 1.5oz Thin spears or "tips" of asparagus
50g, 1.5oz Fine green beans

1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil

For the dressing
Juice of half a lemon
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
A few sprigs of thyme and lemon thyme
Approx 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste (optional)

Method

Cook the quinoa following pack instructions.

In the meantime, quickly cook the asparagus and green beans in rapidly boiling water for one minute.  (Put some water on a hob, bring it to a boil then plunge in the vegetables.)  Drain and cool down quickly under running cold water.

When the quinoa is nearly cooked, dress the vegetables with the tsp of oil and then griddle in a hot griddle pan until heated through and deliciously marked with the stripes from the pan.

Make the dressing by whisking the lemon juice with the mustard then slowly whisking in approx 1 tbsp of oil or to taste.  I tend to do this by eye.  Mix in the herbs.


Serve by putting the quinoa on a plate, topping with the roasted vegetables and a drizzle of dressing.  Season with some crunchy sea salt crystals if liked.

There is something so middle class about quinoa it is such an internet meme (this middle glass graffiti particularly made me giggle).



But give it a go, you may just be won over by it's protein rich charms!

I've linked this up to the happy green natural party blog hop.




Linked up to Pick and Mix Fridays.


A Cornish Mum

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Heidi for your recipe and especially picture of street art for quinoa. It gave me a chuckle. I've been eating and enjoying quinoa for several years now and it's very adaptable and delicious in salads, stews, and stuffed in peppers, zucchini, and squash. I find it only takes about 20 minute to prepare so was surprised when I saw the label that read 1 hour to cook.. Warm regards,
    Nancy A. @obloggernewbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to be trying a bit more of it. It's going to be in my diet from now on!

      Delete
  2. Looks so healthy and delicious! Will be trying! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it too! If anything next time I would cook less quinoa, it was so filling.

      Delete
  3. This is perfect. i've been looking for some new clean eats to add to our weekly meal plans. This sounds so yummy. I am obsessed with quinoa and pretty much eat it every day. It's amazing! You can do so much with it! xx #picknmix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be my new obsession too!

      Delete
  4. I think I am the only person I know who has never tried asparagus! I really need to get more adventurous wiht my food, thanks for linking up to #PicknMix,

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not tried it much until recently. I'd also found it to be a bit limp and sad till I discovered cooking it for shorter time and cooking on a griddle.

      Delete
  5. Yum! Three of my favorite healthy foods in one great meal! Thanks for sharing Quinoa, Asparagus and Green Beans with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised how much I loved quinoa! I'm having to stop myself eating it every day!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.