Wednesday 6 July 2016

A summer stew of chicken and chorizo

I love the flavours of Spain and in a slightly cool summer, using these in a light braise is a way to get a bit of warmth and oomf into your day.



Chorizo is a wonderful thing.  Its delicious meaty juices melded with the warmth of paprika.  In my view if everything in my life had to contain chorizo, I would be a happy woman (or a happier woman.  I have a lot of chorizo in my life already!)  In all seriousness, it is one of the reasons I'm not vegetarian.  Other people have a weak spot for bacon.  What can I say?

Unusually for me, this serves 4 people (I know, what am I playing at?)  I am defending this by saying "it freezes blooming well!"

A summer stew of chicken and chorizo - serves 4 but freezes well

Ingredients

1 red pepper
500g, Just over 1lb Skinnless, boneles chicken thighs
100g, Just short of 4oz Chorizo
1 tin, 400g, 14oz Tinned tomatoes
3 Cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tsp Smoked paprika
Pinch sugar
1 tin, 240g, 8oz drained weight Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Approx 2 tbsp Water

Method

Grill the pepper under a hot grill until blackened.  Put into a bowl and cover with film or a plate until cool enough to handle.


While the pepper is cooling, dry fry the chorizo gently until the oil runs.  Add in the chicken and brown slightly.  Put into a baking tray.  Rub off the outer blackened skin of the pepper, then chop and add to the dish with the remaining ingredients and bake in an oven at about 200oC, 400F, Gas mark 6 for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve, sprinkled with parsley if liked, also great with cous cous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.