Wednesday 4 March 2015

Pork and Chorizo Chilli

I bought some pork shoulder on a whim thinking I'd slow cook it but then I changed my mind on the garlic and mustard dish I was planning and improvised a slow cooked chunky pork chilli and man it was good.  You could also use pork belly I would think for this but it would make it less healthy.  Ok, chorizo isn't the healthiest thing but with masses of beans, this isn't so bad either and really thrifty (and most importantly tasty).




Pork and chorizo chilli - Serves 4 but freezes well, have leftovers for lunch

Ingredients

420g, 15oz Pork shoulder steaks
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 pepper, chopped up
1/2 glass red wine
100g, 4oz chorizo
400g, 14oz tinned chopped tomatoes
240g, 9oz (drained weight) tinned red kidney beans
240g, 9oz (drained weight) tinned borlotti or pinto beans
3 cloves garlic
1 dried chilli
2 tsp smoked paprika
Tabasco, cheddar, coriander (cilantro) to serve.

Method

Dry fry the pork steaks and put in the slow cooker.  This is important as it adds flavour (Maillard reaction.)  Fry the onion in the olive oil and put into the slow cooker.  Deglaze the frying pan with wine and add to the slow cooker.

Add in the chopped pepper, chorizo, tomatoes, beans, garlic, chilli and smoked paprika.



Slow cook for about 4-5 hours or until the pork is soft.  Break up the pork and season with salt, pepper and some tabasco if you like it spicier.  Serve either on it's own, perhaps with some coriander (cilantro) and grated cheese or with rice or tortillas.

6 comments:

  1. This is why I feel that I need a slow cooker, so I can cook dishes like this! It look sand sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing on #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow cookers are great. My top tip for them as well is you can use them for steaming puddings in which is great for Christmas because it's out of the way and one less ring on the hob.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious and a combination I never would have thought of, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pork with spicy pork... I think I'm not quite a genius but I will take the credit! :-)

      Delete
  3. This sounds lovely and really tasty. Thank you for sharing this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made another version of this the other day missing out the pork and slightly increasing the chorizo and beans. It was fantastic.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.