Tuesday 30 June 2015

Strawberry and Spinach Salad

Strawberries might not be the most obvious combination with spinach but they have a similar combination of sweetness, tart and fragrance as the best, ripest tomatoes.

One of my most (and least) endearing qualities is I can rarely sit still and do nothing, I am always talking or rushing around at 100 mph.  I can sit still if I'm on holiday and have a good book in my hand but it's rare and in general I'm always doing something.  I argue that it's because there's always something to do but others look on, exasperated wondering why I get up at 6am on a weekend.  So on Saturday I'd visited a friend's house, done my shopping for the week, paid my mechanic for my car service and MOT, driven half an hour to see a potential desk for my study (sadly too big), got a couple of extra bits and bobs from the market and, as usual, succumbed to a few blogging "props" which I know I will rarely use because honestly I take photos of food on white plates nearly all the time.

On the way back, I realised it was nearly lunchtime (yes, really all of this in only a few hours) and started thinking on what to eat.  I fancied some fruit and started thinking about strawberries.  Sadly my home grown ones are still mostly green but I had a punnet in the fridge.  Strawberries have a surprising affinity for good balsamic vinegar and by the time I got back home I'd paired these in my mind with deliciously green baby spinach and slightly bitter walnuts to balance the sweet and sour flavours with the fruit and dressing.



About 5 minutes later, I was sat in the sunshine in my garden stopping for, erm, at least 10 minutes tucking into this lovely salad.

Strawberry and Spinach Salad - Serves 1

Ingredients

2 handfuls of baby spinach, washed
1 large handful of strawberries, washed and hulled
1 small handful of walnuts, broken up
A drizzle of good quality balsamic vinegar

Method

Wash the spinach and berries.  Halve the strawberries and arrange on top of the spinach.  Top with the walnuts.



Finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.


I've shared this at the plant based pot luck party.

Share the Food & Fun at the Plant Based Potluck Party Link Up #52

I've linked this up to recipe of the week.


Link up your recipe of the week

10 comments:

  1. I love this salad! I have never had strawberries in a salad before but this recipe looks too good. I also love that it uses only 4 ingredients (all of which I have in my fridge/pantry/garden right now) - I think this will be tomorrow's lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saute spinach and strawberries - but (oddly, now I think of it) never tried them as a salad. I need to do that! They really are a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I bet this is stunningly delicious! I'd have never thought to add strawberries into a savoury salad, but why not!! #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not generally one for mixing sweet and savoury in the past but this year I've been putting more and more fruits into salad and loving it!

      Delete
  4. I love a fresh, flavorful salad. This is my kind of comfort food! With hearty, delectable ingredients like these, I will be
    making this delectable salad for friends and family quite often. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious
    Strawberry and Spinach Salad recipe at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Link Up. I appreciate it and I’m pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem and the colours are just so beautiful aren't they?

      Delete
  5. I love fruit with my salads and this sounds lovely. A favourite of mine is mixed lettuce leaves with chopped nectarines and crispy bacon dressed with a raspberry vinegar and olive oil dressing. #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that does sound lovely! I'd be tempted to throw in some almonds? Too much?

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.