Tuesday 12 July 2016

Day 2 of 7 a day

Day 2 of eating 7 a day and first thing I was sat in my lounge thinking "what should I eat today?"  This challenge is both as interesting as it is daunting.

Breakfast

What to have for breakfast... more Skyr?  Yummy but... variety is key.


Today I've gone for my Bircher Muesli; this is a great way to introduce fresh fruit into a breakfast which would traditionally be made with only dried fruits and nuts.  If dried fruit counted in my challenge, this would be 2 of my 7, however, it's only 1.  Delicious nonetheless and a much better start than opening up a pack of cereal.


Lunch

For lunch it was a bit pathetic really.  Out of a longing for junk I had some curry noodles (a weakness, I'm not healthy all the time) then followed that up with 80g of cherries, 80g grapes and 200g of watermelon.  It turns out 80g of watermelon is a really small amount!

By this point I think I was getting a bit fed up with fruit and succumbed to a chocolate bar and a doughnut.  I didn't really need them, I just needed something really unhealthy.  Not good.

Dinner

By this point I was a little off course and needing to catch up so made some vegetable fried rice.  This is the dish I make for my son when I feel like he's not eaten enough vegetables today although the sheer quantity of vegetables made this more fried vegetables than fried rice.  Still nice though and 100x better than cauliflower rice.  Trust me.


Vegetable Fried Rice - serves 1

Ingredients

40g, just under 1.5oz Basmati Rice
80g, nearly 3oz Sugar snap peas
50g, just under 2oz Baby corn
30g, 1oz tenderstem broccoli
2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
Spray oil or 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 egg

Method

Boil the rice until just cooked.  In the meantime, cut the vegetables up into small pieces.  When the rice is cooked, drain then heat the oil in a non stick frying pan.  Put the vegetables into the oil, stir for a couple of minutes then add about a tsp water to allow to steam slightly.

Add in the sauces and the rice and stir until coated and the pan is starting to go dry.  Break in the egg and stir well so all the vegetables and grains are coated.

Serve.

I followed this up with a handful (approx 80g) of blackberries.

So how do I feel?

Bored already.  It was a hard day today and all I wanted to do was to reach for comfort foods but the fact was when I did, I just ended up struggling to eat the number of fruit and vegetables I was trying to fit into the day.  I did it, just.  I think the problem (or probably the benefit) to eating 7 portions of fruit and vegetables a day is it's quite hard to have anything else.  It really is.  You're so blooming full.  Still only day 2 though.  I think the key is maxing out at breakfast time.


If you'd like to read about my journey, please click on the links below:

Why am I eating 7 fruits and vegetables a day?
Day 1 of 7 a day
Day 2 of 7 a day
Day 3 of 7 a day
Day 4 of 7 a day
Day 5 of 7 a day
Day 6 of 7 a day
Day 7 of 7 a day
What did I learn by eating 7 a day for a week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.