Sunday 17 July 2016

Day 7 of 7 a day

My last day of eating 7 fruits and vegetables in a day.  It's been a journey.  I am thoroughly bored of my kitchen scales and the crushing realisation that, (a rare situation in modern life), my portion sizes were normally too small.

Still it's been a journey.



Breakfast

I contemplated other options such as an adapted fry up; fried mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and some bacon, or a home made fresh smoothie, but I just didn't fancy it.  So skyr breakfast bowl it was again.  Although this might be fairly dull for you, the reader, when the sun is shining as it is this morning, what could be better than some skyr, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries as I had today?  I apologise but I don't apologise.  It tasted great.


Lunch

As the day was warm, my son and I decided to go out for a picnic for lunch.  Picnics are actually pretty easy to include fruits and vegetables in if you think about it.  You don't have to be wedded to a sandwich.  So I chose a selection of crudites; carrots, sugar snap peas, pepper and cucumber and some prawns with some marie rose dressing to dip (the 6 year old's choice, I prefer hummus but he's a traditionalist.)  I prepared more than a portion for each but probably all in had 2 portions of vegetables while my son had the odd veggie with his ham sandwich.  This is the tricky thing.  It's generally frowned upon to take kitchen scales to the beach I find?

I followed this up with grapes, then my son and I shared some cherries while stuck in traffic, both definitely a portion each.

Which crazily meant I'd reached 7 portions in the traffic back to my house.  Hmm.


Dinner

I still went for some fruit and veg at dinnertime, it felt wrong not to and came up with a lovely fresh tomato pasta.



Fresh Tomato Pasta - Serves 1

Ingredients

70g, just over 2oz (or how much you fancy!) Dried pasta
1 clove Garlic
1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
120g, 4oz Tomatoes, I used a mix of different varieties including yellow ones
A small handful fresh basil
Coarse ground salt

Method

Cook the pasta following instructions.

In the meantime, crush the garlic finely.  I have an awesome ceramic garlic grater bought by a friend of mine which was brilliant for this but you could also crush with a knife.

Gently warm the oil with the garlic and chopped tomatoes for 5 minutes or so until not really frying but hot through.

Drain the pasta then mix with the tomatoes and ripped up basil with a good pinch of coarse salt and serve.

So how do I feel?

Quite chuffed that I reached so many of my 7 a day so early, so much so, I exceeded it.  Interesting after a week it went from difficult to, could do it with my eyes closed.

Here are the other posts in my 7 a day challenge:

Why am I eating 7 fruits and vegetables a day?
Day 1 of 7 a day
Day 2 of 7 a day
Day 3 of 7 a day
Day 4 of 7 a day
Day 5 of 7 a day
Day 6 of 7 a day
Day 7 of 7 a day
What did I learn by eating 7 a day for a week?



Linked up to recipe of the week


Link up your recipe of the week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.