Wednesday 8 April 2015

Very berry breakfast bowl

I loved my yogurt breakfast bowl so much I came back to make a different version.  I swear, despite feeling guilty about the imported strawberries right now, I'm going to be living on this all summer, possibly mix it up with some bircher muesli at some point.


Very berry breakfast bowl - Serves 1

Ingredients

125g, 4.5oz Greek yogurt
80g, 3oz Strawberries
80g, 3oz Raspberries
10g, 1/3oz Hazlenuts
2 tsp runny honey

Method

Prepare the fruit.

Top the yogurt with the fruit.  Chop the nuts by hand then add to the top finishing with the drizzled honey.  Delicious and so filling.

There are increasing indications that yogurt is a pretty good thing to have in your diet.  It's a great source of calcium, protein and healthy bacteria.


There seems to be some evidence that people who eat a lot of yogurt are less likely to be obese.  The question on whether yogurt is the cause or an indicator of an overall healthy lifestyle isn't clear though.  We probably need to step away as a society from the thought of there being a "magic bullet" on health and obesity.  Healthiness does not happen by adding one thing to a diet, it has to be the overall picture of diet and all that is present or absent from it, overall quantity of food, how food is prepared, fitness, sleep, stress...  It is a complex picture.

But take this breakfast; filling, delicious, two portions of fruit and a decent source of calcium, vitamin C and vitamin E.  But to be honest, I don't get further than filling and delicious.  I eat food I like rather than food I think I should eat.

Alternative and delicious version:



Bowl of Blue Breakfast! - serves 1

Ingredients

125g, 4.5oz Greek yogurt
80g, 3oz Blackberries
80g, 3oz Blueberries
10g, 1/3oz Almonds
2 tsp runny honey

Method

Prepare the fruit.

Top the yogurt with the fruit then chop and add the nuts finishing with the drizzle of honey.

Linked to recipe of the week.



Link up your recipe of the week

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I know what you mean about strawberries. I try to at least make sure that the fruit I buy is European.
    Also, for a dairy-free alternative to Greek yoghurt, Provamel have a coconut yoghurt which is divine - sweet but with no added sugar and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly British strawberries are already in the shops! And surprisingly, they're not bad (not in all cases but I tasted some which were ok...)

      Delete
  2. This is my kind of breakfast - just lovely, pinned! #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.