Friday 5 September 2014

Beef Ragu

I am currently running down my freezer stock because I need to move it in a few days time as I'm getting the paint brush out.  I had the idea for this after defrosting some beef and thinking I wanted to do something different with it than the usual stewed beef in beer.  If it seems odd having chunks of meat with pasta, think of it like a chunkier bolognese.

Don't dismiss slow cookers when cooking for one, almost everything you make in a slow cooker reheats well and this is no exception.  Also you won't get that "I'm bored" feeling because you could eat this as a stew or with pasta, or mix with pinto beans and tabasco for a cheats chilli.  If you do get bored, stick leftovers in the freezer.

Beef ragu


Beef Ragu - Makes 2-3 portions (see above for ideas)

Ingredients

1 small onion
400g, 14oz diced stewing beef
2 tsp olive oil
1 tin tomatoes (400g, 14oz)
1 beef stock cube (low salt preferably)
3 cloves garlic
2-3 sprigs rosemary

Method

Finely chop the onion.  Fry the onion with half of the oil until browned slightly.  Put that into a slow cooker.  Fry the beef until browned (do in several batches if liked.)

Add the tomatoes, garlic, stock cube and chopped rosemary.

Cook on high for approx 6 hours or until the beef is soft and the sauce is reduced.  Different slow cookers hold in the moisture in different ways so prop open the lid slightly for the last hour if you want to reduce it more.

Serve with vegetables or stirred into pasta.

I've added this to Lavender and Lovage's September challenge and to recipe of the week.

Cooking with Herbs September: An Indian Summer & Mediterranean Theme!



Link up your recipe of the week

2 comments:

  1. Whoo this looks tasty :)

    Thanks for linking up

    #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, no problem! I've added your badge.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.