Tuesday 16 September 2014

Broccoli with Chorizo and Broad Beans

I love broccoli, I know the world doesn't agree with me and it's almost as unloved as my other favourite vegetable, brussel sprouts but for me, broccoli is a flavour packed powerhouse.  The fact it's also good for you is a bit of a bonus.

I was trying to think of a new way to serve broccoli because I had some tenderstem in my fridge which needed eating up.  This was what I came up with.  As a vegetable fan, I ate this on it's own, that's the joy when you're cooking for one, no-one judges you for a plate of vegetables but it might be nice as a less meat heavy tapa or as a side dish to serve with something complementary; fish could be good.

Broccoli and chorizo


We could all do with eating less meat for health and environmental reasons.  A lot of my recent recipes have been vegetarian but this, although containing meat, uses it more as a 'spice' than as a major component.  If you want to reduce your meat consumption without giving it up, that's one way to approach it.


Broccoli, Chorizo and Broad Beans - Serves 1 as a main course

Ingredients

50g, 1.5oz Chorizo, cut into rings
80g, 2.5oz Tenderstem broccoli
80g, 2.5oz Frozen broad beans
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and parsley to serve

Method

Fry the chorizo in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until releasing the oils and browning.  In the meantime, boil the broccoli in water for 5 minutes and boil the beans in water until they come to the boil.

Drain the beans and, if liked, double pod them, i.e. remove the little wrinkly skins.

Broccoli chorizo and broad beans


Pour the drained vegetables into the chorizo, stir around for a minute or so, add a squeeze of lemon juice, season with salt to your taste and sprinkle on parsley to serve.

Link up your recipe of the week

4 comments:

  1. How very delicious :-) love the name of your blog! #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) It's mostly a call to action for me! I'm far too likely to eat rubbish if I'm not careful.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious and reminds me, I have not had broad beans for ages. Must look for some

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good from the freezer (no enormous floury ones which I remember from home grown ones gone over the top.)

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.