Tuesday 15 March 2016

Individual Cottage Pie

This was made at the request of my son who loves his traditional food.  I have to admit it was pretty lovely.

This is an unusual recipe for me because it makes 3-4 small portions but it's easy to freeze before baking with the mashed potato on top, then defrost prior to cooking; add the cheese and bake.



Cottage Pie - Serves 3-4 in individual portions

Ingredients

For the sauce
250g, 9oz Minced beef
1 onion
1 tsp oil
1 carrot
1 clove of garlic
1 large fresh tomato
1 beef stock cube, preferably low salt
150ml, 5 fl oz water
150ml, 5 fl oz red wine
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cornflour

For the topping
1 very large floury potato
1 dsp grated cheddar per pie

Method

Fry the chopped onion and carrot in the oil, when softened slightly, add in the mince and brown without burning.  It's important to do this as it adds flavour due to the Maillard reaction.  Add the garlic, stir for a couple of minutes then add in the tomato, stock cube, wine, water and worcestershire sauce.

Turn down to a low simmer and simmer for about an hour (or put into a slow cooker and cook for 2-3 hours if you prefer).

Peel the potato and cut up into even sized pieces.  Boil until you can feel by pressing a knife in that they're soft through (approx 20 mins).  Drain and mash or pass through a ricer (which I find way easier and less likely to get lumps).

When the sauce is ready, mix the cornflour with a little cold water to form a paste then mix in with the meat sauce so the sauce coats the mince.  If cooking immediately, heat the oven to 200oC, 400F, Gas Mark 6.

Put the mince into individual dishes, top with the mash (bag and freeze at this point if liked).  If cooking immediately, top with the cheese.

Bake in an oven for approx 20 minutes or until browned.

A massive hit with my son and me.

2 comments:

  1. looks good, but I live in Texas, How do you make your minced beef? I think this would be a great meal to serve my parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! In the US the equivalent I think is ground beef or hamburger?

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.