Thursday 26 February 2015

Trout with Green Beans

I love fish and could happily become pescetarian.  Fish is a great source of omega 3 fats which have various health benefits being proposed from cardiovascular health to mental well being but certainly fish is a great source of protein and contains the 'good' fats.

I'm trying to be a bit healthier and fish is a great thing in your diet.  My original intention was to have sea bream and make a dish with that.  Sea bream is my favourite fish and much underrated in comparison with sea bass (unfairly I think) but the key with buying fish is to buy what's fresh.  (Isn't that the best idea with everything after all?)  Today the sea bream looked a bit tired but the trout looked super fresh.

It's funny looking at the size of the trout I bought.  It was perfect for one but my Mother would have been appalled at it's tiny frame.  I grew up in the countryside, near a trout lake.  My Mum, being a teacher, had a fairly consistent supply of young boys and girls who were a dab hand at fly fishing and wanted to make a few bob; the trout were big enough to feed the whole family!

Still, it may have been small but it was tasty, especially paired with green beans and a butter sauce (ok, not so healthy).  The key with this is seasoning.  You do need to be a bit bold with it because perhaps as trout is a fresh water fish, it always for my taste needs a reasonable amount of salt.  Taste it and see what you think.

I cooked the fish on the bone and took off the bone to serve.  It's easier to take fish off the bone when it's cooked and also cooking on the bone adds flavour but if you prefer you could cook trout fillets or substitute with salmon fillets.




Trout with Green Beans - Serves 1

Ingredients

1 small trout, gutted
A handful of green beans
A small knob butter
A splash of white wine
Three cherry tomatoes
Approx 20 small cooked prawns
A few basil leaves
Seasoning to serve

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC, 400F, Gas Mark 6.  Make sure it is hot before you start.

Wrap the fish in foil or non stick baking paper.  Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until cooked.  This was perfect for my small fish but test yours.  It is cooked when it's no longer translucent but try not to overcook.



In the meantime, cook the beans for approx 5 minutes in boiling water.

While the beans and the fish are cooking, heat up the butter until foaming, add in the wine and bubble to reduce.  Add in the prawns and tomatoes and heat through, just before serving, add in some sliced basil leaves and season to taste.


When everything is ready, plate up with the beans on the bottom and top with the trout and the sauce.

I've linked this up to the made from pinterest linky here.

I've linked this up to recipe of the week.


Link up your recipe of the week



Cooking with Herbs

6 comments:

  1. That looks scummy - I'm not a big fish fan, in fact I refer to myself as fish phobic but I like trout. I need to get some trout... :) #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, I love fish as well. My family sadly, no so much. I think I'll have to give this a try though. Thanks for sharing on Weekend Bites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand people who eat meat but don't like fish. It's discounting an enormous and deliciously varied food group, like cheese. I firmly believe there is a fish for everyone (unless vegetarian or allergic.)

      Delete
  3. Trout is one of my favourites and this is such a elegant recipe. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trout is one of my favourites and this is such a elegant recipe. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.